17th Infantry (Buffalo) Regiment

To view videos, click on the yellow video link (.wmv Windows Media Format). Please be patient as it sometimes takes a while to download, depending on the speed of your connection, and Internet traffic.

The 3 1/2 documentary is now complete on two DVD disks. A trailer for this very compelling documentary is now on YouTube. It can also be seen at the following web link:


With great pride, and the utmost of humility, I have just undertaken the great responsibility of documenting on tape the history of the courageous 17th Infantry (Buffalo) Regiment in the Korean Conflict, from Inchon to the Yalu River and the Chosen Reservoir, and the final bloody battles for Pork Chop Hill; and the sometimes chilling stories of countless unsung heroes, whom I have had the honor of meeting as a result of my association with the 17th Infantry Association, the unit in which I served for sixteen months in Korea. Video clips, photos and stories will follow as they become available to me, and I hope that you will come back often. Meanwhile, anyone interested in cooperating with the project by being interviewed on videotape, and who has not already done so, can reach me by e-mail at RetJudgeS1@aol.com  ......Stuart Namm.

See website: http://www.17thinfantry.com

Yours truly arrived at Camp Kaiser, the home of the 17th Infantry Regiment, in the heart of the Chorwan Valley and North of the 38th parallel, in April 1956 after graduating from Basic Infantry Officer's School and Ranger School. During most of the Korean War, I was in the ROTC (Reserve Officer's Training Corps) at City College of New York, from where I graduated in June 1955. The 17th was the northernmost United States Army unit in Korea, and it was then a part of the 7th Infantry Division headquartered South of Camp Kaiser at Camp Casey. The Division was part of the Army's First Corps at the time. The regiment was commanded by Colonel Izenauer, who was replaced by Colonel Glen Gardner during my sixteen months in "the land of the midnight calm." The Division Commander was a Maj. General Jark, whose first name I do not recall, and the I Corps commanders were Lt. Gen. Montague and Butcher, whose first names I also do not recall. Upon arrival, I was immediately assigned as a rifle platoon leader in George Company of the 2nd Battalion. After two successful stints as assigned defense counsel in special courts martial, I was reassigned. Both defendants had been acquitted, and in the Infantry where you seemed to be guilty before you were proved innocent, this wasn't supposed to happen. Thus, Colonel Izenauer called me on the carpet and told me that I was being reassigned as Regimental Asst. S-1, "Courts and Boards Officer." (I wouldn't go to law school until I returned from Korea). The S-1 was a Major Wolfinger with whom I never seemed to get along, and ofttimes he made life miserable for me. I made the most of things and did what I enjoyed most-sports! I played on the regimental softball teasm, the "Buffaloes," and I was the co-coach of the regimental soccer team with Lt. Roy Etzler, another ROTC graduate from Maryland, while playing in the goal. I had been a lacrosse goalie at CCNY. I also announced the Saturday Buffalo baseball games over "Radio Gypsy," part of the Armed Forces Network, and hosted what I dubbed "the Friday Night Fights," boxing matches between soldiers, and sometimes against Thai soldiers attached to our unit, who were "kick boxers." While in Japan on R&R, I obtained a recording of the Gillette commercial song: "To look sharp.....etc," from the real "Friday Night Fights" at home, and we would play it between rounds at our fights.

Most important, however, was the pride that I took in being a member of the historic 17th Infantry Regiment. Some of our platoon sergeants had fought with the 17th during the Korean War, and I learned much of its prior history involving names like Pork Chop Hill, Old Baldy and the Iron Triangle. These were places that were not very far from where we were located in the Chorwan Valley, the strategic tank approach to Seoul, Korea's capital city. Truly, I was more fortunate than the courageous subjects of this project. I never saw combat!.....Stuart Namm

2nd Lt. Stuart Namm with his M-1 Carbine before quonsets for billeting were constructed at Camp Kaiser. My first home was on a GI issue canvas folding cot in a  20' x 20' wall tent.

Lt. Stuart Namm in the winter of 1956. Note the new winter gear, which some wartime Korean veterans never had-warm, rubber Mickey Mouse boots and faux fur lined winter parka. We were miserable, but we were warm!


The long time and current President of the 17th Infantry Association, and veteran of the Korean War, Stuart Rothman of Fairbanks, Alaska (current home of the 17th), has a very interesting website with many photographs from all over the world. He has been a professional photographer throughout his life, both civilian and military, including a stint on General MacArthur's staff.  http://www.lensunlimited.com


The Medal of Honor

The six Medal of Honor winners of the 17th Infantry in the Korean War

Cpl. Einar Ingman, Jr.

Sergeant (then Corporal), U.S. Army, Company E, 17th Infantry Regtiment, 7th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Maltari, Korea, 26 February 1951. Entered service at: Tomahawk, Wisconsin. Born 6 October 1929, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Citation: Cpl. Ingman, a member of Company E, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. The two leading squads of the assault platoon of his company, while attacking a strongly fortified ridge held by the enemy, were pinned down by withering fire and both squad leaders and several men were wounded. Cpl. Ingman assumed command, reorganized and combined the two squads, then moved from one position to another, designating fields of fire and giving advice and encouragement to the men. Locating an enemy machine gun position that was raking his men with devastating fire, he charged it alone, threw a grenade into the position, and killed the remaining crew with rifle fire. Another enemy machine gun opened fire approximately fifteen yards away and inflicted additional casualties to the group and stopped the attack. When Cpl. Ingman charged the second position he was hit by grenade fragments and a hail of fire which seriously wounded him about the face and neck, and knocked him to the ground. With incredible courage and stamina, he arose instantly and, using only his rifle, killed the entire entire gun crew before falling unconscious from his wounds. As a result of the singular action by Cpl. Ingman, the defense of the enemy was broken, his squad secured its objective, and more than 100 hostile troops abandoned their weapons and fled in disorganized retreat. Cpl. Ingman's indomitable courage, extraordinary heroism, and superb leadership reflect the highest credit on himself and are in keeping with the esteemed traditions of the iufantry and the U.S. Army.



Cpl. William F. Lyell (posthumous)*

Corporal, U.S. Army, Company F, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Division. Place and Date: Near Chup'a-ri, Korea, 31 August 1951. Entered Service at Old Hickory, Tenn. Birth: Hickman County, Tenn.

Citation: Corporal Lyell, a member of Company F, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. When his platoon leader was killed, Corporal Lyell assumed command and led his unit in an assault on strongly fortified enemy positions located on commanding terrain. When his platoon came under vicious, raking fire which halted the forward movement, Corporal Lyell seized a 57 mm recoilless rifle and unhesitatingly moved ahead to a suitable firing position from which he delivered deadly accurate fire completely destroying an enemy bunker, killing its occupants. He then returned to his platoon and was resuming the assault when the unit was again subjected to intense hostile fire from two other bunkers. Disregarding his personal safety, armed with grenades he charged forward hurling grenades into one of the enemy emplacements, and although painfully wounded in this action he pressed on destroying the bunker and killing six of the foe. He then continued his attack against a third enemy position, throwing grenades as he ran forward, annihilating four enemy soldiers. He then led his platoon to the north slope of the hill where positions were occupied from which effective fire was delivered against the enemy in support of friendly troops moving up. Fearlessly exposing himself to enemy fire, he continuously moved about directing and encouraging his men until he was mortally wounded by enemy mortar fire. Corporal Lyell's extraordinary heroism, indomitable courage, and aggressive leadership reflect great credit on himself and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service.


Medals of Honor relating to the 1953 battles for Pork Chop Hill


The Final Battles of the Korean War-April to July, 1953

The Bloody Battles of Pork Chop Hill

The name of posthumous Medal of Honor winner, Lt. Richard Shea of Virginia, has virtually become synonymous with the final battle of the Korean War, the July battle of Pork Chop Hill! But there were many heroes of the 17th Infantry who lost both life and limb during the last ditch efforts of a determined enemy to capture a small piece of worthless ground before the final cease fire was sounded on July 27, 1953. We have interviewed some of the few survivors willing to speak to us of those bloody battles, and we have chosen to include some of these stories together with the words and descriptions of Dick Shea, because some of them, although they may not have known it at the time, were in close proximity to the gallant young officer when he gave his life for his country.

By the same token, we must not forget, that like Lt. Shea, posthumous Medal of Honor recipient Pfc Charles Baker gallantly lost his life in the days leading up to the July battle of Pork Chop Hill. While there was not as much research material available to us on Pfc Barker, his Medal of Honor citation is incorporated herein.




Lt. Richard T. Shea, Jr. (posthumous)*

First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, Company A, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Sokkogae, Korea, 6 to 8 July 1953. Entered service at Portsmouth, Va. Born: 3 January 1927, Portsmouth, Va. G.O. No, 38, 8 June 1955.

Citation: 1st Lt. Shea, executive officer, Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. On the night of 6 July, he was supervising the reinforcement of defensive positions when the enemy attacked with great numerical superiority. Voluntarily proceeding to the area most threatened, he organized and led a counterattack and, in the bitter fighting which ensued, closed with and killed two hostile soldiers with his trench knife. Calmly moving among the men, checking positions, steadying and urging the troops to hold firm, he fought side by side with them throughout the night. Despite heavy losses, the hostile force pressed the assault with determination, and at dawn made an all-out attempt to overrun friendly elements. Charging forward to meet the challenge, 1st Lt. Shea and his gallant men drove back the hostile troops. Elements of Company G joined the defense on the afternoon of 7 July, having lost key personnel through casualties. Immediately integrating these troops into his unit, 1st lt. Shea rallied a group of twenty men and again charged the enemy. Although wounded in this action, he refused evacuation and continued to lead the counterattack. When the assaulting element was pinned down by heavy machinegun fire, he personally rushed the emplacement and, firing his carbine and lobbing grenades with deadly accuracy, neutralized the weapon and killed three of the enemy. With forceful leadership and by his heroic example, 1st Lt. Shea coordinated and directed a holding action throughout the night and the following morning, On 8 July, the enemy attacked again. Despite additonal wounds, he launched a determined counterattack and was last seen in close hand-to-hand combat with the enemy. 1st Lt. Shea's inspirational leadership and unflinching courage set an illustrious example of valor to the men of his regiment, reflecting lasting glory upon himself and upholding the noble traditions of the military service.


Raleigh Gresham of Alabama was one of the last soldiers of "Able" Co, to be sent out on a patrol by Lt. Richard Shea, when Shea was acting as C.O. of the company. This took place just prior to the Chinese onslaught on to Pork Chop Hill in July 1953, just days before Shea and so many others of that company lost their lives, or were wounded in action. This clip will tell you some of his story.



After the war, Lt. David Willcox, of New Jersey, himself a recipient of the Silver Star for gallantry in action in the July battle for Pork Chop Hill as a Rifle Platoon leader in "A" Co., and then a civilian, was asked by Col. Beverly "Rocky" Read, the First Battalion CO in that battle, to visit Shea's pregnant wife Joyce to give some of his papers and sketches to her, and to advise her that Dick, who was then listed as missing in action, could not have survived the fierce battle in which he had been engaged. He was last seen in hand to hand combat with the enemy which, with overwhelming superiority in numbers, was about to overrun the hill The following is the letter written by Col. Read to David Willcox. (See below for David's own experience on Pork Chop Hill)


(Author's Note: Sometimes, as in this case, because of red tape the military works in strange ways, but, fortunately sometimes there are persons with the humanity and decency to avoid this red tape.)

Lt. David Willcox of New Jersey (Silver Star-July battle for Pork Chop Hill)



(Author's Note: The Korean War, like every other war that mankind engages in, has its share of stories, both tragic and heroic, and sometimes even comic. The story of Lt. Richard "Dick" Shea is far from comic, but it is one of both great tragedy and heroism. I have been privileged, through the thoughtful cooperation of his widow, Joyce, who lost Dick when they were still young "newlyweds," and she with child, to take a small peak into the life of Lt. Richard Shea to learn what kind of man he was and could have become had he survived Pork Chop Hill. Their son, Richard, never met or even saw his Dad, because he was born after his father's heroic death during the July battle of Pork Chop Hill, less than ten days after his letter of June 29, 1953 (appended hereto) to his beloved "Joy," and little more than two weeks before the cease fire which ended the hostilities on the Korean peninsula. Dick Shea had been a track star at West Point, and he was selected as a member of the All American Cross-Country squad in 1949 and '50. During the short time that he was in Korea, he tried to keep in shape, hoping to be a member of the 1956 US Olympic Team , by constantly walking between outposts, and up and down the many ridgelines. Dick would not live to realize his dream of becoming an olympic athlete, or to see his namesake, born after he died heroically in a hand-to-hand battle with the enemy, while gallantly leading a handful of troops over an overwhelming enemy force. But Dick was not only a talented athlete, he was also a talented artist; and just a small portion of his artistic talent can be seen in this letter.

Fortunately, there were some recipients of mail from Korea who had the forsight to retain letters sent to them from the Korean war zone, just as Joyce Himka did with the letters of Lt. Dick Shea. They may or may not have known that they were retaining a piece of history. In any event, with the passage of 53+ years, these letters have mostly been lost or destroyed, and for the most part unrecoverable. The grandmother of Joe Roberts "C" Co. "point man" did have the foresight to preserve his letters home, and the writings of Roberts give another small, but powerful, peak into the horrors experienced by the men who had the task of defending and/or attacking that hill!

(These letters have been reproduced here with the full knowledge and consent of Joe Roberts of Massachusetts, "point man for Charlie Co." of the 17th Infantry during the April battles for Pork Chop Hill. Thank you Joe!)

Lt. David Willcox, New Jersey, "A" Co. Rifle Platoon Leader. Recipient of Silver Star for gallantry in action in the July 1953 battle for Pork Chop Hill




Pvt. Robert Miller, North Carolina, "A" Co., Rifleman (Silver Star)


Lt. Bob Hope, South Carolina, "E" Co. Rifle Platoon leader and Co. Exec. Officer (Silver Star) & Sgt. Dobson (Korea, 1953)


Pfc George Harvey, Pennsylvania, "G" Co., BAR gunner, April battle of Pork Chop Hill

(2 Purple Hearts)


The following link is to a video clip made from a digitized and remastered version of 8mm film which had been converted to VHS tape. It was shot in 1953 in the vicinity of Pork Chop Hill by Ed Puplava, a former member of the 17th Infantry Regiment's I & R Platoon. The film was provided to us by Joe Gonsalves, a former member of "E" Co. of the 17th Infantry Regiment, and the author of Battle at the 38th Parallel, Surviving the Peace Talks at Panmunjon, published by Hellgate Press, a very well written, and well researched book which we highly recommend to anyone interested in learning more about the Korean War. The film was old and fading, and was not shot by a professional cameraman, but it gives one a good view of the challenges facing the 17th Infantry soldier in surmounting the steep, hilly terrain in the vicinity of Pork Chop Hill against an enemy whose numbers were sometimes overwhelming, but never overwhelming in fighting spirit.


They called them "Doc," and they were the angels of mercy throughout the Korean War; but nowhere did they see so many wounded and killed as they did on that God forsaken hill they called "Pork Chop!"

Hear and see what those who had to treat the countless numbers of wounded had to say about what they saw and experienced in the final days of the Korean War, when the goal was no longer to advance and take ground, but simply to hold their ground until the cease fire was finally sounded. It was a time and when so many young American soldiers were lost or maimed for life, like young Robert Miller (see above) of North Carolina.

Oral Grimmett, West Virginia,"B" Co. Medic, April and July battles of Pork Chop Hill

(Bronze Star)


Jim Leal, Massachusetts, "K" Co. Medic (on right of picture with Stuart Namm taken outside of USAF Academy Chapel, at the reunion of the 17th Infantry Regiment Association, Colorado Springs, CO, September 2006), July battle of Pork Chop Hill (Bronze Star)


Lee Johnson, West Virginia, 1st Bn. Medic, April & July battles of Pork Chop Hill


It wasn't only the infantryman up front who was wounded or killed in action. Sometimes, it was the unit medic himself who was seriously wounded or killed. He was always up front in the line of fire, and often without his assigned weapon which he'd leave behind in favor of his medical bag which was always with him! In March 1953, in the battle for T-Bone hill, Private First Class Tom Nightingale of Kansas, platoon medic of Able Co., later a recipient of the Silver Star* for gallantry in the July battle of Pork Chop Hill, was seriously wounded by a mortar round. In May 1953, he was now Cpl. Nightingale, when he was advised that he would being sent back to CONUS, the continental United States. Instead, he volunteered to return to his unit. As a result, he ended up as "A" Co. Senior Medic, and became embroiled in the July battle during which time he earned the Silver Star.



There were nine medics in the First Battalion when the battalion was ordered to replace another unit on Pork Chop Hill in April 1953. Of the nine medics, only one walked off the Hill, still standing. Matt Massey was that lone medic, and he thus became the Sr. medic for the First Battalion. In the following video clip he describes some of the horrors of Pork Chop.







Pfc. Charles Barker (posthumous)*

Private First Class (then Private), U.S. Army, Company K, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Sokkogae, Korea, 4 June 1953. Entered service at Pickens County, S.C. Born: 12 April 1935, Pickens County, S.C. Gen. Order No. 37, 7 June 1955.

Citation: Pfc. Barker, a member of Company K, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. While participating in a combat patrol engaged in screening an approach to "Pork Chop Outpost," Pfc. Barker and his companions surprised and engaged an enemy group digging emplacements on the slope. Totally unprepared, the hostile troops sought cover. After ordering Pfc. Barker and a comrade to lay down a base of fire, the patrol leader maneuvered the remainder of the platoon to a vantage point on higher ground. Pfc. Barker moved to an open area firing his rifle and hurling grenades on the hostile positions. As enemy action increased in volume and intensity, mortar bursts fell on friendly positions, ammunition was in critical supply, and the platoon was ordered to withdraw into a perimeter defense preparatory to moving back to the outpost. Voluntarily electing to cover the retrograde movement, he gallantly maintained a defense and was last seen in close hand-to-hand combat with the enemy. Pfc. Barker's unflinching courage, consummate devotion to duty, and supreme sacrifice enabled the patrol to complete the mission and effect an orderly withdrawal to friendly lines, reflecting lasting glory upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the military service.



(Non-Pork Chop Hill Medal of Honor recipients continued)

Pfc. Joseph C. Rodriguez

Sergeant (then Pfc), U.S. Army, Company F, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Munye-ri, Korea, 21 May 1951. Entered the service at California. Born: 14 November 1928, San Bernardino, Calif. G.O. No. 22, 5 February 1952.

Citation: Sgt. Rodriguez distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an armed enemy of the United Nations. Sgt. Rodriguez, an Asst. Squad leader of the 2nd Platoon, was participating in an attack against a fanatical hostile force occupying well fortified positions on rugged commanding terrain, when his squad's advance was halted within approximately sixty yards by a withering barrage of automatic weapons and small arms fire from five emplacements directly to the front and right and left flanks, together with grenades which the enemy rolled down the hill toward the advancing troops. Fully aware of the odds against him, Sgt. Rodriguez leaped to his feet, dashed sixty yards up the fire swept slope, and, after lobbing grenades into the first foxhole with deadly accuracy, ran around the left flank, silenced an automatic weapon with two grenades and continued his whirlwind assault to the top of the peak, wiping out two more foxholes and then, reaching the right flank, he tossed grenades into the remaining emplacement, destroying the gun and annihilating its crew. Sgt. Rodriguez' intrepid actions exacted a toll of fifteen enemy dead, and as a result of his incredible display of valor, the defense of the opposition was broken, and the enemy routed, and the strategic strongpoint secured. His unflinching courage under fire and inspirational devotion to duty reflect highest credit on himself and uphold the honored traditions of the military service.


Capt. Raymond Harvey (deceased)

Captain, U.S. Army, Company C, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. Place and date: Vicinity of Taemi-Dong, Korea, 9 March 1951. Entered service at Pasadena, Calif. Born: 1 March 1920, Ford City, Pa. G.O. No. 67, 2 August 1951.

Citation: Capt. Harvey, Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. When his company was pinned down by a barrage of automatic weapons fire from numerous well entrenched emplacements, imperiling accomplishment of its mission, Capt. Harvey braved a hail of fire and exploding grenades to advance to the first enemy machinegun nest, killing its crew with grenades. Rushing to the edge of the next emplacement, he killed its crew with carbine fire. He then moved the 1st platoon forward until it was again halted by a curtain of automatic fire from well fortified hostile positions. Disregarding the hail of fire, he personally charged and neutralized a third emplacement. Miraculously escaping death from intense crossfire, Capt. Harvey continued to lead the assault. Spotting an enemy pillbox well camouflaged by logs, he moved close enough to sweep the emplacement wih carbine fire and throw grenades through the openings, annihilating its five occupants. Though wounded, he then turned to order the company forward, and suffering agonizing pain, he continued to direct the reduction of the remaining hostile positions, refusing evacuation until assured that the mission would be accomplished. Capt. Harvey's valorous and intrepid actions served as an inspiration to his company, reflecting the utmost glory upon himself and upholding the heroic traditions of the military service.



While all six of the above heroes distinguished himself "above and beyond the call of duty," the 17th Infantry in Korea was made up of thousands of courageous heroes, many of whom suffered the supreme sacrifice in defense of liberty, and who, besides the Purple Heart and the Combat Infantryman's Badge, earned countless citations for heroism, such as The Distinguished Service Cross, The Silver Star and The Bronze Star, with numerous Oak Leaf Clusters. While it has come to be known as "The Forgotten War," the goal of this documentary project is to ensure that their heroism will never be forgotten! 


With apologies to those distinguished heroes of the courageous 17th Infantry, and their relatives, who may not be listed because the Distinguished Service Cross citations do not always list a unit, I will endeavor to list the recipients of the Army's second highest award for heroism and bravery.

(Note: If anyone viewing this site knows of a 17th Infantry holder of The Distinguished Service Cross from Korea who is not listed herein, please write me at RetJudgeS1@aol.com .

*Thomas J. Barnes, 1st Lieutenant, July 9, 1953, Co. K, Sokkogae, Korea

Harold H. Dunwoody, Major, August 31-September 3, 1951, C.O. 3rd Battalion, Chupa-ri, Korea

*Joseph E. Farrell, Private First Class,  September 3, 1951, Co. M,, Chupa-ri, Korea

James Hensley, Corporal, December 19, 1950, Co. F, Hungnam, Korea  

*Howard C. Hovey, Master Sergeant, July 6, 1953, Co. A, Sokkogae, Korea

Minco Inuzuka, 2nd Lieutenant, May 27, 1951, Co. F, Chongo-ri, Korea

*Anthony T. Kahoohanohano, Private First Class, September 1, 1951,  Co. H, Chupa-ri, Korea

*John R. Manuel, Sergeant, March 9, 1951, Co. E, Twi-got, Korea

*Homer I. May, Sergeant, September 1-2, 1951, Co. L, Chupa-ri, Korea

Wiley McGarity, 1st Lieutenant, September 1, 1951, Co. F, Paengma-goi, Korea

Harold I. Nakata, Corporal, October 6-7, 1952, Company A, Surang-ni, Korea

Joseph E. Noble, Jr., Lt. Colonel, July 8, 1953, Battalion CO, Sokkogae, Korea

Robert Northcutt, Sergeant, July 8 and 9, 1953. Platoon Sgt., Sokkogae, Korea

Herbert B. Powell, Colonel, Regimental CO, November 1-21, 1950, Pungsan, Korea

Beverly M. Read, Lt. Colonel, Regimental HQ, July 7, 1953, Sokkogae, Korea

*Paul B. Taft, Private First Class,  November 17, 1950, Company B, Soju-ri, Korea

Milton F. Uffman, Captain, February 19, 1951, S-2 HQ First Battalion, Kuram, Korea

*Richard C. Van Cleave, Corporal, May 28, 1951, Company A, Chonjae-dong, Korea

*James M. Wightman, Master Sergeant, March 9, 1951, Company E, Twi-got, Korea

*Marvin R. Wood, Corporal, November 17, 1950, Medical Comany, Soju-ri, Korea

*Killed in Action

Other Heroes and Tales of Heroism from the future Documentary of the 17th Infantry, "Buffalo" Regiment in Korea

The oldest veteran of the 17th that we have interviewed through December 2006 is Robert Kendrick of North Carolina, age 89 at the time of our interview, and from all appearances in excellent physical and mental health for a man of that age, or for a man twenty years his junior! "Butch," as he calls himself, and is fondly called by his friends, was born in Shreveport, Louisiana, in 1917 and still works full time at a local bank in North Carolina. A graduate of ROTC, he retired as a full Colonel after thirty years of military servive during the Vietnam War. An Airborne officer, and rifle company commander in World War II, he was seriously wounded and evacuated during the Battle of the Bulge, and was the recipient of the Legion of Merit. Prior to the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, Capt. Kendrick had been a member of the 11th Airborne Division in Sendai, Japan. When he joined the 17th Infantry Regiment in 1950, he first served as a rifle company commander, and shortly thereafter became 2nd Battalion S-3, Operations Officer, under Lt. Col. Denzel L. Baker of Mathis, Texas, who organized the new battalion after the regiment had consisted of only one battalion. Kendrick also served as the Battalion Executive Officer, after the Executive Officer had been wounded. He was "right hand man" to the Battalion Commanding Officer. "On the side of a mountain," Capt. Kendrick was promoted to the rank of Major. He was the recipient of the Silver Star as a member of the 17th during the action in the vicinity of Seoul after the Inchon amphibious landing, and the recipient of five additional Bronze Stars during his long and distinguished military career.

Capt. Robert Kendrick, 1945, WW II

Col. Kendrick, then Captain Kendrick, was also the model (his likeness) for statue #7 of the Korean War Memorial in Washington, D.C. As the chief sculptor, Frank Galfant Gaylord II so aptly states in the letter following the phot

"......you are the man that all of us would like to be."




http://www.legaleagleproductions.com/movies/Lt. Tom Fernandez.wmv

Lt. Thomas Fernandez de la Reguera, Easy Co. Rifle Platoon Leader,  receives Silver Star from Gen. Wayne Smith for valor in the Chorwan Valley, North Korea, November 1952. (Photo courtesy of Tom Fernandez de la Reguera)

To hear from Tom in his own words as to the circumstances behind his Silver Star and the Bronze Stars received by his platoon sergeants, click on the yellow hyperlink below.


The other members of Lt. Fernandez de la Reguera's unit featured in the video................

Capt. Peterson

Capt. Sims

Chaplain "Father" Rooney

Sgt. Wickersham

Shortly after receiving the Silver Star, Tom, because of his hispanic ancestry and ability to both speak and understand the Spanish language, was reassigned as liaison to the Colombian battalian attached to the 17th Infantry Regiment, where he also served as an artillery observer. 


Note: We are in the process of scheduling additional video interviews for May through July 2006,  so we request that anyone interested in being interviewed for the project, who has not already done so, contact us at: RetJudgeS1@aol.com


Note: From my very first days as a Rifle Platoon Leader with the 17th in Korea I became acquainted with the legendary stories of Colonel "Buffalo Bill" Quinn who, I was told, had dubbed the regiment "the Buffaloes" during his tenure as Regimental Commander during the Korean War. His reputation as "Buffalo Bill" is often spoken of with great pride and respect, and probably rightly so, whenever former Buffaloes get together, most notably at the annual 17th Infantry Association reunions. While I was fortunate to meet General Mataxis before his recent passing, prior to my extensive research for this project, I had heard very little about any of the other Regimental CO's who commanded the 17th during the Korean War. My research, however, has now introduced me to the commander who, I have come to believe, had the greatest influence upon the 17th and its heroic fighting spirit during that war. That Commander was Col. Herbert B. Powell, a Distinguished Service Cross recipient, who retired from the military as a four star General, and went on to become the United States ambassador to New Zealand under President Kennedy. It was he who took a soft, unprepared, undermanned and underequipped unit stationed as part of the occupation force in Japan, and molded it into the great fighting machine that made two amphibious landings in Korea, and rolled all the way to the Manchurian border in November 1950, despite his being wounded along the way. I could not have come to know the Colonel as I have without the benefit of the insight of Colonel Richard Gruenther, a Rifle Company Commander in Korea, whom you will meet later on this page, and the very informative book entitled "The Soldier's General" by Ms. Greta Klingon, a personal friend of General and Mrs. Powell, who became his biographer and the keeper of his copious and prolific letters written almost on a daily basis to the first Mrs. Powell during his tenure in Japan and Korea as Regimental Commander of the 17th Infantry, embodied in the manuscript entitled "The Ways of War," which was gifted by her, with the consent of the second Mrs. Powell, now 97 years old, to the Army archives at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania . (Nancy and I will meet the second Mrs. Powell, at her request, at her home in Williamsburgh, Virginia, on July 4, 2006. We feel honored that she has asked to meet with us, and we look forward to this special visit.) 


Col. Powell was awarded the Silver Star  for gallantry in action against an armed enemy, specifically after the amphibious landing at Iwon, and leading the 17th Infantry Regiment to the Yalu while defeating both North Korean and Chinese units in unknown territory in North Korea like the cities of Pungnam and Kapsan enroute to the Manchurian border.

Col. Powell's Silver Star Citation


Col. Herbert Powell in Japan, on the anniversary of the 17th Infantry Regiment, in May 1950, two months before the outbreak of the Korean War.

http://www.legaleagleproductions.com/images/KoreaColPowellportrait1.jpg (click for original size)

90 year old Four Star General (Ret), and former United States Ambassador to New Zealand under Pres. John F. Kennedy, Herbert Butler Powell, who led the 17th Infantry Regiment from Japan into the Korean War until January 27, 1951, is the recipient of the Medal of Honor of the Daughters of the American Revolution.



Col. Powell was a prolific letter writer. Hear the words of Col. Powell, in one of his many letters, this one dated September 8, 1950, to Mrs. Powell, written on the troop ship General Black taking the 17th Infantry from its base in Japan to participate in the first amphibious landing of the Korean War at the port of Inchon, close to the capital city of Seoul, South Korea (voiceover by Stuart Namm).


In a letter dated August 6, 1950, to his first wife, Col. Herbert Powell, CO of the 17th Infantry Regiment, reveals the innermost personal thoughts of a commander about to take his troops to war (voiceover by Stuart Namm).



In a letter dated, September 15, 1949, to his first wife, Col. Herbert Powell, after being appointed CO of the 17th Infantry Regiment in Japan, gives some telling thoughts about the men in the unit he now caommanded during the peaceful interval between World War II and the Korean War, which broke out the following year (voiceover by Stuart Namm)..


In a letter, dated August 8, 1950, to his first wife, Colonel Powell writes from Japan of preparing the regiment to go to war (voiceover by Stuart Namm). 


The following are some comments by Sgt. Tom McGee, who was Regimental S-2 Sgt. when Colonel Herbert Powell took the regiment from its base in Japan into the thick of the Korean War, from Inchon to the Manchurian border and the Yalu River.



The Army War Museum in Carlisle, PA now has on file all of the letters written by General Powell to his first wife, including the letters written when he was a Colonel and CO of the 17th Infantry. They were graciously contributed to the museum as a joint effort by by his second wife, Grace Powell, and his biographer, Greta Klingon, author of "The Soldier's General." We visited the museum on July 7, 2006 when we copied all of this extensive collection of letters. The following is an actual copy of the letter written in Col. Herbert Powell's own hand on American Red Cross stationery after the unit reached the Yalu River in November 1950. It is a very interesting insight into the kind of commander that he was at that time, and the kind of General he would become in the future!



This letter was written by Col. Herbert Powell, CO of the 17th Infantry Regiment, to the first Mrs. Powell on October 3, 1950 as the 17th was moving rapidly towards the Yalu River after its 2nd amphibuous landing, this time at Iwon on the East coast of North Korea (voiceover by Stuart Namm).



Master Sgt. Tom McGee of Charlotte, North Carolina, a four year Marine veteran of World War II, was a Corporal and a company clerk in first battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, at Sendai, Japan, when he was enlisted by Capt. Walls, Regimental S-2, as S-2 (Intelligence Sgt.). He remained in this position, seemingly "promoted every week" until he rotated back to the States in 1951. He served under three regimental CO's, with his most service under Colonel's Powell and Quinn. He was S-2 Sgt. when the Korean War broke out in June 1950, and he made two amphibious landings with the regiment at Inchon on September 15, 1950 and Iwon in North Korea, behind enemy lines, on October 29, 1950. He was with the 17th on its rapid march to the Yalu River at Hyesanjin in the last weekend of November 1950; and its hasty retreat, under orders, to the Hungnam perimeter in December 1950.


The following video clip is a beautiful story of Korean War brotherly love and dedication:





An interesting description by Sgt. McGee about the retreat from the Yalu River by the 17th Infantry Regiment in the brutal winter of  1950-51, after  having been the first United States military unit to reach the Manchurian (China) border after the amphibuous landing at Iwon (Wonsan harbor).

Korean winter photo courtesy of U.S. Army Signal Corps.


Some of the men, vehicles and weapons of the I (Intelligence) & R (Reconnaisance) Platoon of Headquarters & Headquarters Company, 17th Infantry, Korea, 1951. (Photo courtesy of Tom McGee)


In 1947, now retired Lt. Colonel Dan Connelly enlisted in the Army, at age 17,  from a small coal mining town in central Pennsylvania. His tour was extended by President Truman at the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, at which time he reenlisted to serve in Korea. He arrived in Korea in March 1951 with the rank of Staff Sergeant, where he was assigned to George Company, 2nd Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment. His rifle platoon had no officer in charge as there was a shortage of 2nd Lieutenants. He immediately took command of a group of war hardened infantrymen, fresh back from the Yalu River, quickly earning their respect because of his obvious leadership abilities. During his twelve months in Korea, into the spring of 1952, he served as rifle platoon leader with the rank of Sergeant until several months later when he received a well earned battlefield commission as 2nd Lieutenant. This unwanted commission came after he earned the Silver Star for gallantry and courage uner fire against the enemy. After being wounded and debilitated by an incoming mortar round,  he continued to lead his rifle platoon, while under fire from the enemy, in overtaking their position. Dan Connelly spent twenty five years in the Army before retirement, serving among many other assignments as a Special Forces area commnder in Vietnam while attached to a United States Marines amphibious force, having served as well as a member of the 82nd Airborne Division. 

Sgt. Dan Connelly relutantly accepts battlefield commission as 2nd Lieutenant from Regimental Executive Officer, 17th Infantry Regiment, somewhere in Korea in 1952.


Lt. Col. Dan Connelly (Ret), recipient of the Silver Stars humbly describes the circumstances surrounding his Silver Star after being seriously wounded in battle while leading a patrol in an assault upon an enemy machine gun. He also describes the grueling route to his final destination-a hospital in Japan where he convalesced for three months before returning to the front lines, and his beloved 17th Infantry. As an aside, he explains why so many unsung heroes never received their well deserved medals and commendations.




Col. Richard Gruenther  (interviewed March 14, 2006), the son of a four star General and a West Point graduate of the Class of 1946, was a member of the United States Olympic team competing in the "Modern Pentathlon."  He was Company Commander of Charlie Company, 17th Infantry Regiment, when the unit was reconstituted in Sendai, Japan. As a 1st Lieutenant, he came ashore with the unit at the Inchon invasion, and subsequently at the Iwon invasion and on the subsequent march to the Yalu River. He was seriously wounded by enemy fire in the chest, lungs and liver, and was evacuated to Japan four days before the company reached the Yalu on November 17, 1950, and shortly after receiving a battlefield commission to the rank of Captain. Seriously wounded, he continued to lead his company in battle, for which he was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry and the Purple Heart while being treated at the hospital in Japan. "Dick" recovered from his wounds and later commanded a Battalion in Korea after the 1953 truce, and an Infantry Brigade in the Vietnam War, during which he earned a second Silver Star for gallantry in action. He retired after 29 years in the Army as a full Colonel, and now resides with his wife Sue, whom he married in Japan on June 17, 1950 under the sponsorship of Colonel Powell, then 17th Infantry commander, on the Florida coast. After he was evacuated from Korea, command of Charlie Company was  turned over to Captain Raymond Harvey, who had been serving as a Platoon Leader in Charlie company after Lt. Hap Ware, West Point class of 1949, was killed in action. Harvey later went on to win the Medal Honor for gallantry and courage above and beyond the call of duty at a subsequent engagement with the enemy (see Medal of Honor winners above).

Lt. Richard Gruenther receives a battlefield commission to rank of Captain shortly before being seriously wounded by enemy fire in an engagement which earned him the Silver Star just four days before Charlie Company reached the Yalu River.


Lt. Richard "Dick" Gruenther (left) with two fellow members of the 1948 United States Olympic team. The Olympics in that year were known officially as "The Games of the XIVth Olympiad," which took place at Wembley Stadium in London, England after a long hiatus due to World War II.

The wedding of Lt. Ruchard "Dick" Gruenther to his bride, Sue, in Japan, on June 17, 1950. She is now his wife of nearly sixty years. Behind every courageous Buffalo who went off to the Korean War, there is almost always a great story of the woman who had to stay behind to keep the pieces together. The lovely, vivacious and sweet Sue had been working for the Red Cross in Japan when they met and fell in love.




At the Yalu River in November 1950, surrounding Maj. Gen. Edward "Ned" Almond, Commanding Officer of X Corps (Gen. MacArthur's protege and right hand man), is Col. Herbert Powell (extreme right), 17th Infantry Regiment CO, and the various generals of the 7th Division, the highest ranking being Major Gen. David Barr, CO of the 7th "Bayonet" Division.

See and hear what Col. Gruenther had to say about this well publicized photo opportunity.


"Angels of God"

While we have referred to the Army medics as "angels of mercy," essential to every military unit, whether in combat or not, are those whom I consider to be God's representatives on earth. However, in a combat situation, these "angels of God" are essential to maintain the spiritual balance and morale of the soldier on the line. Col. John Strube (Ret) is the current Chaplain of the 17th Infantry Association, and as a young Lt., fresh from ordination as a Lutheran minister after graduation from Gettysburg College, where he was a member of its Infantry ROTC Corps, and Gettysburg Seminary, he was assigned as a Protestant Chaplain to the 1th Infantry Regiment in 1952, just in time for the October 1952 battle of Triangle Hill.

Lt. John Strube of Pennsylvania, Protestant Chaplain



Cpl. Donald Goold, Asst. Squad Ldr., "Easy" Co., 17th Infantry, 1952

While the Buffaloes, like every other Army unit in Korea, had its share of military academy graduates and medal winners, for the most part, the grueling ground war which lasted for three long years, despite General MacArthur's prediction that they would be home by Christmas of 1950, was carried out every day without complaint by the enlisted men who speak of their well earned Combat Infantryman's Badge with a great deal of pride. 



Henry "Pete" Peterson, of Chicago, left college to join the Army in 1950. After basic training, he was sent to FECOM, and ultimately to the 17th Infantry in Sendai, Japan. Originally, a company clerk, he became a member of a Battalion I & R platoon, and was with the Buffaloes at the Inchon and Iwon amphibious landings, and on its drive to the Yalu River. After the retreat to Hungnam, he was rotated back to CONUS in December.



Lt. Samuel "Sam" Cohen was born in Philadelphia, PA in 1922.In 1942, he enlisted in the Army and was sent to Officer's Candidate School, after which he was commissioned an Infantry 2nd Lieutenant. After World War II, while in the reserves and now married and a father of two children, he was recalled to active duty after the outbreak of the Korean War. Upon arrival in Korea, he was assigned to the 17th Infantry Regiment as a rifle company platoon leader.

(l to r) Lt. Samuel "Sam" Cohen, wife Evelyn Cohen, and yours truly at the 2002 annual reunion of the 17th Infantry "Buffalo" Association at Frederick, Maryland.



Sgt. "Mike" Mirabella (on the left in scarf taken from a dead Chinese officer) grew up all around New York City-from Brooklyn to East Harlem to the Bronx. He enlisted in the Army at age 17 in 1947 ending up in Japan with the 31st Infantry Regiment of the 7th Division. Ultimately, he was assigned to the 17th as a Heavy Weapons Company forward observer for H Company at the battle for "Old Baldy,"  returning to the front line after having been wounded by enemy mortar fire.


The late Sgt. Mike Mirabella (with mess kit) and Heavy Mortar Company buddies at the"Punch Bowl" in December 1951.

*******It is with a heavy heart that we must sadly report the passing on June 21, 2006 of another unsung hero of the "forgotten war," Michael "Mike" Mirabella, whose courage and heroism in the defense of freedom will not be forgotten.........Rest well brave Buffalo!


While today the United States has an all volunteer Army, a wartime draft was in effect from the earliest days of the Korean war. Although many members of the 17th Infantry Regiment were drafted by their local Selective Service Board, many were also volunteers like Dr. James "Jim" Butcher, with a Doctorate in from the University of Minnesota. However, at the time he volunteered at age 17, he was living with his brothers and sisters in Charleston, WVA, having been born in a "small mining town in West Virginia," where his father, who died in a mine accident when Jim was 9 years old, was working in a coal mine.


Jim Butcher (l) and buddy Carlos Coleman after battle for Jane Russell hill.


Lt. Richard "Dick" Whitson (l) with Platoon Sgt. checks out mountainous terrain in Korea (1952).


http://www.legaleagleproductions.com/movies/JimButcher(2).wmv (Possible faster download-no color correction.)


Lt. Richard "Dick" Whitson, of Knoxville TN, a Rifle Platoon Leader, describes an incident in February 1953, some two months before "the first battle of Pork Chop Hill, which took place in the vicinity of Pork Chop Hill, for which he was awarded the Silver Star. There is an additional poignant story about a fellow officer killed in action in that skirmish. Patience will reward you!!


Bob Petzold, a machine gunner in "Easy" Co., was one of the wounded rescued by Lt. Whitson and his men.



          The Bloody April and July 1953 Battles of Pork Chop Hill

Pfc. Walter Bishop of Tennessee, a "wheeled vehicle mechanic" in Service Co., and formerly a rifleman in "Item" Co., tells how good fortune might have saved him from being wounded or killed in action despite being on Pork Chop Hill in July 1953 during the heaviest battles on "the hill."


Not everyone in the 17th was as fortunate as Pfc Walter Bishop. Many had the misfortune of having to be on "the hill" in April or June of 1953, like Lt. Dick Shea; and, unfortunately, with the number of casualties which were sustained, and with the passing of 53 years, there are not many veterans still around to talk about their horrendous experience, or who are willing to recount their experience on camera.

We know that thousands of letters-perhaps even millions- were sent back home during the three years of the war, but not many of these letters have survived the years. One of those GI's who had the misfortune of being on the hill in April 1953 was Pfc Joe Roberts of Charlie Company. Not only has "farmer Joe" lived to speak of his nightmarish experience, but his Aunt and Uncle, whom he wrote on April 19 and 21, both before and after being on the hill, had the good sense to preserve his letters, which are now a part of the history of the "forgotten war." The following are copies of those letters:


Not everyone attached to the 17th Infantry Regiment during the Korean War was attached to a Rifle Company, but that fact alone did not give them immunity from being wounded in action or even killed in action. There HQ Co. personnel, both Regimental and Battalion, who were equally exposed to the perils of combat.


PFC Pasquale (Pat) Zampetti of New Jersey, Regimental P & A Platoon


There are so many stories that evolve from war, no less the Korean War which lasted some three years. There are sad stories and ,ironically, even black humorous stories. There are countless stories of courage and valor, especially so amongst the heroes of the 17th Infantry Regiment, whom I have met over the years, and from those men of courage whom I have interviewed for this project thusfar. Sometimes, however, you are told a story, not necessarily one of courage, although coming from the mouth of a true man of courage, that it stands out as unforgettable in its content and in the manner in which it is told. One such story was told to me by Sgt. Bill Pitt of Mobile, Alabama, at the 2006 Colorado Springs reunion. A man of utmost humility who seems reluctant to count himself the hero that he is, my good friend Bill recounted under the lights how he came to be a member of the 17th Infantry. We'd like to share that story with you.......Enjoy! Thank you Bill.


Pvt. Bill Pitt, Mobile, AL

Lest you think that Bill Pitt is something less than serious because of the manner in which he tells this sometimes hilarious story, we felt that you ought to see the serious side of him as well. He is most serious when discussing his military career and the Korean War.



On an even lighter note, if that is possible!!

Pvt. Stu Rothman, somewhere in Korea!

Stewart Rothman of Fairbanks, Alaska, was President of the 17th Infantry Association for five consecutive years. A disabled veteran of the Korean War, he dedicated all of his time and energy to the Association and the unit itself, which presently serves in Iraq from its home base in Alaska.

Stewart, for those of you who have never had the pleasure of meeting him, is the gentleman in the wheelchair in the photo of the unveiling of the Buffalo monument at Fort Benning on the "Works in Progress" page. He is a professional photographer who has traveled all over the world and has published several books of his work. He has also been a radio personality in Fairbanks, and is a reknowned story teller. Here is Stewart Rothman at his best with "the deadly Wachichi snake of India:!" Enjoy!!!



Photos and Weapons

 of the Korean War

Evacuating a 17th Infantry Buddy (June 25, 1953) during the last battle of "Pork Chop Hill." (U.S. Army Signal Corps photo)


                        Infantry Weapons of the Korean War:


Garand .30 Cal. M-1 rifle

.30 Cal. Carbine

M9A1 Rocket Launcher (Bazooka)

Bazooka team in Korean winter


M1911A1 .45 Cal. Pistol

M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)

BAR man in Korean action

M1917A1 .30 Cal. Water cooled Machine Gun

M1919A4 .30 Cal. Air cooled Machine Gun

57mm Recoilless Rifle team, Korea, March 31, 1951

Various Hand Grenades


The 17th Infantry Regiment reached the Manchurian Border (China) at the Yalu River on November 26, 1950.



Pork Chop Hill was the site of many a bloody battle involving the courageous soldiers of the 17th Infantry. This is the terrain that a defender of Pork Chop would have seen in front of him (to the North) in the winter of 1952-53. (Photo courtesy of Pfc. Orville Dean, HQ Co., 1st Battalion)

Establishing the beachhead at Inchon where the 17th made its first amphibious landing on the West coast of Korea in September 1950, after being stationed in Japan. The unit was severely understrength, so it was filled with Katusa's (Koreans augmenting the US Army) to make up the shortages. (Department of the Navy photograph)

The second amphibuous landing of the 17th Infantry n October 1950 was part of a large task force which landed in the area of Wonsan on the Korean East coast. The landing came after UN forces had been pushed back South into a perimeter around the Southern city of Pusan. It was this landing of soldiers and marines behind enemy lines which had been stretched thin that resulted in the 17th's speedy march to the Yalu River in November 1950. (Department of the Navy photograph)

Supporting the 17th Infantry on Pork Chop Hill in the spring of 1953 were artillery batteries firing 155mm towed howitzers* such as the one depicted here. Because of the close quarters of combat at times, and the overwhelming number of the enemy, VT (overhead bursts) fire would have to be called in by line commanders and forward observers over the defender's positions. (Photograph courtesy of Lee Johnson, 17th Infantry medic)

*Thanks to John R. Duke, Huntsville, Alabama, (17th Inf. July '50 to May '51) for the correction*


Dateline, September 9, 2006, Goodland, KS-17 miles from the Colorado border:

Today we concluded the fifth interview of 17th Infantry Korean War veterans since leaving the day after Labor Day from our home in the mountains of North Carolina on our way to the 17th Infantry Association reunion in Colorado Springs. It was at the 600 acre cattle ranch of Arnold and Opal Prather in the town of Gove, some 25 miles South of I-70. Arnold served 11 months with Easy Co. of the 17th from 1951-52, in the Kumwha Valley, the Punch Bowl, the Hwachon reservoir, and numerous other villages and locations in Korea. Arnold was wounded by enemy mortar fire, but was returned to duty after 30 days in an Army hospital. He rotated from Korea as an SFC, having arrived as a Private E-2. Arnold was our 19th interview for the documentary. When we were about to leave their home, the sky was menacingly dark, and it reminded us of the sky in the movie "Twister," but there was never any sign of a tornado. After getting off the four miles of dirt road to the ranch, and as we traveled West towards Colorado Springs, the sky brightened with beautiful cumulus clouds. Actually, they could use the rain, as they have been experiencing a serious drought. The following is a picture of the sky that we saw over their ranch, just as we left their wonderful hospitality.


On our trip West from North Carolina to Colorado Springs, we conducted four very interesting interviews of 17th Infantry veterans of the Korean War. While some of their stories will be recounted in the documentary and on this web page, we thought to give you a glimpse of some of these handsome heroes in their prime:


Cpl. Walter Bishop of McMinnville, TN.

Pfc William "Bill" Snyder of Niota, TN.

CWO Herbert Newman of Overland Park, KS

Sfc Arnold Prather of Gove, KS.


At the 2006 reunion of the 17th Infantry Regiment at Colorado Springs, CO, we have conducted several video interviews of more courageous veterans of "The Forgotten War." Their stories, and the stories of so many other heroic 17th Infantry "Buffaloes" of that war will be recounted, in their own words in our upcoming documentary, Men of Courage in a Forgotten War, the 17th Infantry in Korea, to be completed by the summer of 2007. The documentary will have its premiere screening at the September 2007 reunion of the 17th Infantry Association, and a screening of an early edit of the first half will be screened on September 16 at the 2006 reunion for the 168 attendees of the reunion, and their guests.




December 2005: We recently completed and copyrighted the two hour documentary entitled: "Musical Treasures of the Southern Appalachi'ns of the Carolinas." Short video clips can be viewed on this website's Documentaries page. The documentary is dedicated to the late Joe Wilson. The documentary had its premier screening in February at the Pender County Public Library in Hampstead, North Carolina to an overflow and very enthusiatic audience. Because of limited space, many persons were turned away, and a second screening is planned for April. Copies of this video and the "Along About Sundown" video documenting Asheville North Carolina's "Shindig on the Green," our first project, are being gifted to the Mars Hill College Library archives which documents and preserves for posterity the culture of the Southern Appalachians.

February, 2006: Nancy and I recently returned from Quito, Ecuador after an unbelievable eight days aboard a 98? trimaran, the mv Lammer Law, traveling around the magnificent and unusual islands of the Galapagos archipelago. In preparation for a future nature documentary, I will begin inserting video clips of our many snorkeling adventures: swimming with White Tip Reef Sharks, the rare Marine Iguana of the Galapagos, Galapagos Penguins and Galapagos Sea Lions, including huge Bull Seal Lions, in my face,  protecting their harem of females. There will also be clips of the beautiul city of Quito and the unique wildlife, like the giant Tortoise, of the Galapagos archipelago.

March, 2006: We will be heading to Florida to continue interviewing Korean War veterans for the "17th Infantry in Korea" project, which we believe to be the most important project we have evr been involved in. It will probably take upwards of two years to complete. (Note: We are now in Florida (March 18) where we have concluded three excellent interviews, and where we will complete two more tomorrow before returning to North Carolina on March 20. We will have covered the state from St. Augustine to Orlando to Zephyrhills to Naples to Hallandale to Titusville to Ormond Beach and back to North Carolina-a complete circle of the state, other than the panhandle; and we have had some great interviews of some very interesting veterans, making some wonderful new friends all along the way.) On a sad note: One of the veterans whom we interviewed in Titusville, FL, Mike Mirabella, passed away in June 2006. That sad fact only makes our mission more important, for each one of these interviews will ultimately find a place in the historical archives at the Army War Museum in Carlisle, PA.

We are proud to report that short video montage-only five minutes and twenty seconds-will be featured, along with other films, at the Welcome Center of the March 18-19 Peace rally at Fayetteville, North Carolina, the home of the 82nd Airborne. The film is taken from footage shot by the Judge at the 2005 Fayetteville rally. This promises to be a much larger gathering of those who are opposed to the war in Iraq. The video is streaming on our "Works in Progress" page.

July 1, 2006: Nancy and I will be in beautiful Asheville, NC for the opening of the 40th year of Asheville's Shindig on the Green music festival which we have been videotaping for 15 years, and which is the subject and background of two of our documentaries. The Shindig has moved this year from City County Plaza, due to construction, to Martin Luther King Jr. Park in the heart of Asheville, and it will be there all summer on Saturday nights at 7:00 PM between July 4th weekend and Labor Day weekend, except for two weekends. It is a unique music festivel which is open to the public and free, weather permitting. 

Week of July 3, 2006: This will be an exciting week, with a visit to 98 year old Grace Powell in Williamsburg, VA, the widow of Gen. Herbert Powell, who, as a Col. and CO of the Regiment, rebuilt the 17th Infantry from an understrength and under equipped occupation force in Japan after WW II, into a mighty fighting machine which he led into battle in Korea in September 1950, as part of the newly formed X Corps. From there, it is on to the beautiful Alleghany Mountains mountains of West Virginia to interview a medic who served with the 17th at the battles of Pork Chop Hill. Finally, we will meet with Greta Klingon, Gen. Powell's biographer and family friend in PA, with whom we will continue our research and copy documents at the Army War Museum at Carlisle Barracks in PA.

September 2006: After a summer of editing and reediting our Korean War documentary, we are now in the heartland of the United States-the center of Kansas on our way to the 17th Infantry Association reunion in Colorado Springs. By this afternoon, on this trip, we will have conducted five more veteran interviews for our upcoming documentary: Men of Courage in a Forgotten War: The 17th Infantry in the Korean War (see the "Works in Progress" page). Yesterday, in Overland Park, Kansas, a suburb of Kansas City, we met with and interviewed 87 year old Herbert Newman, a retired Chief Warrant Officer, who served thirty years in tne Army before retiring, and who is a veteran of three major wars: WW II,  the Korean War and the Vietnam War. A widower, he lives by himself in a beautiful five room apartment, and is as lucid, loving and as active as any human being could possibly be at that age. Herbert was the 17th Infantry's Regimental Supply Officer in 1951 and 1952, and he had much to say about the supply situation, especially with respect to winter gear, during the very cold north Korean winter of 1951-52. Nancy, who worked with senior citizens for many years,  wanted to take him home with us.  Today, we have one last veteran interview in Gove, KS, and then it is on to the reunion where we will conduct many more interviews, and screen what will not be the final cut of the first half of our documentary. In every veteran's home that we have visited, we have received a very warm welcome from our hosts, which has made this mission one which we will never forget and long cherish.

In October 2006, Nancy and I will be off to Africa, to visit the Serengetti in Kenya and Tanzania for 14 days, from where we expect to return with great video clips and photographs of Africa's unique wildlife and culture.

On November 17, 2006, at 6:30 PM, at the beautiful campus of Mars Hill College in the heart of the North Carolina mountains, there will be a screening of our two Southern Appalachi'n documentaries about mountain music and performers: Along About Sundown, Asheville North Carolina's 'Shindig on the Green,' and Musical Treasures of the Southern Appalachi'ns. Both of these documentaries are in their musical archives, and the screening is open to the public, the faculty and the student body (see the "Documentaries" page on this website). Contact Us for further information.

Note: If you have enjoyed this website, and wish to be notified when additional music, photographs and video clips have been added to the site, please contact us by e-mail where provided, and we will be happy to advise you whenever we have added more material to these pages. Simply utilize the "Contact Us" hyperlink found at the bottom of each page of the site.

More About the 17th Infantry (Buffalo) Regiment 

February 7, 2010

Since Spring of 2009, after acquiring a SONY PMW-EX3 full 1920x1080 high definition camera, we began to work on one of our most ambitious projects, "The Waterfalls of the Southern Appalachians." Although I have had a small vacation home in the mountains since 1989, Nancy and I have been exploring places that I had never seen, or even known about. We began in the Spring, because in January 2009, Nancy had both knees replaced, and by Spring, her legs were strong enough to climb up hills and hike long dirt trails. Last month, we were in the mountains again shooting one of the most spectacular falls surrounded by deep snow, large icicles and ice. Shortly, I will begin to add some photos and video clips to the website.

Stuart Namm



December 25, 2009

Happy Holidays to all! Just returned from 26 day cruise to the Amazon River on ms Prinsendam. Either we spent too much time on the river-six days-or global warming is a fact of life. Saw only one blue hummingbird, and no animals, unless they were attached to a string to encourage monetary gifts. It was a great disappointment, especially viewing a huge, brown colored river. More to come!